EDIT: John Green addressed (parts of) this post here and here
Here’s a post by someone who takes things that people say out of context. Here he’s taken issue with John Green.
John addressed this eloquently and gracefully in the posts that are linked above. Please read those.
And here’s my two cents that nobody ever asked for but y’all can have anyways:
1. Trying to make people appreciate other people is never a bad thing.
2. People make up names for holidays all the time. Heck. People MAKE UP HOLIDAYS all the time. Celebrating something is good. Celebrating nothing is your choice. Celebrating multiple things on one day IS AWESOME.
3. Can you just be happy that someone we love is defending someone else that we love and not pick apart that defense? Are you a lawyer on a case? No? Then why bother? Don’t you have better things to do with your time? If the person that something is aimed at doesn’t have an issue with something that is said about/to them, then why should you?
4. JOHN GREEN appreciates it when people slam him. It is motivating to HIM. HE was the one there trying to lose weight. If people don’t understand that it’s not okay to do this without specific invitation then they probably don’t understand a lot about basic human dignity.
5. You know how shy dudes get dates? Many times it’s the same way that John got a date. It may not be the BEST way to get a date, but it’s not as though he was like, “hey, let’s all meet at this creepy warehouse in the bad part of town” and then sent an e-mail to the four other people that said, “NOT YOU!”. No. Movie theatres are public places and if she was uncomfortable she could have left. Why do you want to make John out to be a creepy sex offender type person? That’s such a freaking serious accusation! That’s how rumors start and innocent people end up being investigated. Please stop now thank you.
6. Many of the “sources” used for this post that I am reblogging here are other people’s tumblr posts. One states, “You should know your history. Part of the oppression of people of color is white people telling them: Well, I understand you’re hurt, but you have to be civil and quiet about it, otherwise I won’t respect you.”
To this person I say, YES. OUR HISTORY. Not how it is now. Now how we want it to be ever again. What we have moved on from and are constantly and consistently trying to make people stop doing. You should know your present moment. I’m sorry if you’ve been hurt by someone, but that someone does not represent an entire race. And the fact that you does kind of makes you a little racist too, don’tcha think? What do they call that? ”Reverse racism”? I don’t understand why. Racism is racism no matter who it’s towards or who it’s coming from and it is always wrong. John was not being racist. He was speaking up for somebody. How do you know he was even aware of the incidents spoke about? God knows most people weren’t. If it helps, I didn’t know about Laci’s stuff until right now either. If one person was the defender everyone that person would have to know everything. I’m sorry, but John does not know everything.
I have more but I need to sleep since I’m running a half marathon in approximetely 6.5 hours. GOODNIGHTTT.
((Actually probably not cuz as soon as I get under the covers I go on my phone and scroll thru tumblr for at least 20 minutes so see you soon?))
Oh no, you’re doing it all wrong! here, in the words of yourfaveisnotproblematic (the post “now what” linked on the side)
“Recognize that they did something wrong. Accept it. Don’t try to defend it or explain it.”
See, what you did now was explaining how yourfaveisnotproblematic is wrong. Which isn’t what you’re supposed to do, you’re supposed to “Accept it.”
So just to clarify, this is a blog pretending to be preaching openness. And they’re explicitly telling their followers not to explain to them how they are wrong. Yay openness! :D
EDIT: here we have John being insensitive towards transexuals by defending laci green after she had recieved death threats. http://fishingboatproceeds.tumblr.com/post/26908704341/i-am-pissed-off